The Dimock Center was named as an Official Project of Save America’s Treasures, a public-private partnership between the White House Millennium Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation that is dedicated to the preservation of the nation’s irreplaceable historic and cultural treasures for future generations. In a moving dedication ceremony, Senator Edward M. Kennedy said: “This plaque officially recognizes the rich architectural beauty of the buildings comprising Dimock’s campus, and is testament to Dimock’s illustrious history as a premier health provider to the community.”
The original choice of the Roxbury campus site was motivated by the comparative low land costs, the clear air and quiet of a country location. Situated on a ten-acre site that includes eight buildings constructed over a fifty-eight year period from 1872 to 1930, the Dimock complex—originally the New England Hospital for Women and Children—exemplifies a range of changing architectural fashions from the slick style and High Victorian Gothic of the late 19th century to the Classical and Georgian Revival style of the early 20th century. The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, designated as a National Landmark in 1991, and selected as a Boston Historical Landmark in 1995.
In 1969, in response to community needs, The New England Hospital became "Dimock Community Health Center", a nonprofit, minority directed, community-based organization that provides an integrated continuum of health and human services and serves some of Boston’s neediest urban neighborhoods.
The new Landmark status caps a ten-year restoration effort that began in 1988, when Dimock launched a three-phased campus redevelopment plan designed to restore the magnificent architecture gracing its campus, and to provide adequate and appropriate space for its vital programs and services.
Within the ten-year period, paralleling its growth from a $5 million to a $25 million organization, Dimock renovated over 70,000 square feet to restore many of its original buildings, and constructed three new buildings of more than 50,000 square feet. The dollars used to construct and renovate were raised in two capital campaigns that contributed to an overall investment of $17 million in Dimock’s infrastructure. This expansion has allowed Dimock to build on its nationally recognized services for families and children, and increase the number of individuals accessing those services. Future renovation efforts will center on restoring the Cary Cottage, the oldest building in the Dimock complex. As we approach the new millennium, we believe our Save America’s Treasures status is consistent with the quality health services we have been providing from this historic campus, a legacy that encompasses the spirit of the past and provides inspiration for the future.
Today, THE DIMOCK CENTER enjoys its place in history as it continues to provide modern services to its clients and patients.